Can poa change life Insurance benificary

Asked about 1 year ago - Covington, GA

My mother died,my step brother came the next day and took my step father less than 3months later he passed ,but somewhere in between my stepbrother changed the benificary to himself. He had poa

1. Gary Todd Dupler

Pro

9

Answered . It is possible. Particularly if the POA was a valid broad-based financial version and there was nothing in the POA preventing such a change. Your step brother would also have to comply with the requirements of the insurance company to make the change. A probate attorney would be able to give you a definite answer by reviewing the POA and the insurance documents.

2. John Gus Zgourides

8

Answered . It depends on what the powers are granted under the power of attorney, as well as the requirements of the insurer and the governing law of the applicable jurisdiction(s). See a local probate lawyer ASAP!

John Zgourides
    www.zgourides.com

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

7

Answered . Your mother's POA expired as soon as she died. If the transfer was under her POA after she died it was improper and null

4. Celia R Reed

7

Answered . The answer depends on whether the POA was on behalf of your mother or your stepfather. The POA for your mother expired upon her death. The POA for your stepfather might have allowed the beneficiary change, but this might also be a breach of fiduciary duty. Contact a probate attorney for assistance.

5. Robert W. Hughes Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . Hell no.