Can plaintiff ask for additional days to reply to cross-motion, if defendant files cross-motion 7 days before return date?

New York, NY |

The 7 days don't include the return date. How likely is plaintiff's ajournment request granted?

First, have you asked your adversary to consent to an adjournment. Second, pretty much every judge will allow one adjournment even if the other side opposses. Third, the service was not the proper amount of time so that is a basis for an adjournment.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Thank you for the quick reply! Whom should the plaintiff ask for the adjournment from, the defendant, or the judge, or both? When should the plaintiff ask for adjourment, at the return date, or before the return date? Thank you!

There are many variables with regard to the number of days required for service of motions. See CPLR 2215 for service of cross motions. You must consider the number of days before the return date that the Original motion was served, whether it required cross motions 7 days before return date and whether the motion is being served by mail, personally, or overnight delivery.

That aside - as was previously stated, most judges will grant at least one adjournment - depending on the nature of the relief being sought.