Can petition for injunction for protection against domestic violence be amended during hearing or only prior to hearing?

Asked 9 months ago - Orlando, FL

I demanded 100% of time sharing with children. Now I am thinking what if judge refuse to grant me 100% of time? Will I have option to get less than 100 percent of time? Will I be able to amend my time-sharing demand during hearing? Or should I file amendment prior to hearing?

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

7

1

Answered . Demanding 100% of the time sharing shows that you are not willing to comply with the requirements of the law, and without the type of proof required for what you have demanded, you will not get it. You do need to hire an attorney who practices family law in the area, for all legal matters like this.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  2. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

5

1

Answered . You must amend it prior to the hearing and then serve it on the other party in sufficient time to comply with the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure.

That said, the judge will decide temporary time-sharing based upon the facts of the case, not what you demanded. The court favors 50/50 parental sharing unless there are circumstances that show the child is in danger or other issues exist.

I handle a lot of these cases--some pro bono--in Orange County, and I can tell you that you almost always need a lawyer in DV court. You don't know the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure or Evidence Code, and this is a trial. it's just a trial without a jury, but it's still a trial. In fact, I think DV bench trial are harder than jury trials because it's almost pure law, and unlike juries, the judges aren't swayed by emotion.

3. Hernan Hernandez

Pro

3

1

Answered . You should consult family law attorney.
    The basis of the injunction may warrant 100% time sharing. However if not warranted you will seem highly unreasonable before the court. You could try to amend before hearing bit need court permission for leave to amend.
    You should contact family law attorney.

4. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . I strongly recommend you consult with a local and experienced family law attorney regarding this case.

Sincerely,

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney