Can person A file a form 982 for relief for debt from 1099-C student loan debt?

Asked 5 months ago - Clermont, FL

Can person A file a form 982 for 1099-C induced tax debt? Can they still file married filing jointly? Can person B be held liable in any way? I've researched the heck out of this and I think person A can file a form 982 claiming $55,000 student loan debt – the $5,000 asset making them insolvent and I think they can still file jointly and I think person B cannot be held liable for any of the tax debt. Not sure on what happens if the loan comes back. Maybe they would be able to file an amended tax return for 2013, taking off the 1099-C in which case they would then have a refund coming? I want to be sure bc the last thing person A needs is to owe the IRS. Person A’s debt was written off BUT they are still in the “3 year monitoring period” meaning if they earn more than $15,000 in a year from employment over the next 3 years from the date of the discharge the debt comes back. If they take out student loans the during that time the debt comes back. So really it is like a conditional discharge bc there is a whole list of stuff that COULD occur and the loan would be reinstated. Person A doesn't want to pay the taxes on a student loan that could be reinstated. Here's the scenario: 1996-2007 person A accrued student loan debt w out a co-signor (in Maryland and Florida) 2005 person B buys a house in their name only. 2009 person A and B get married (in Tennessee but continue to reside in Florida, both equitable distribution states unless in TN you put it into a trust making it comm.. prop.) 2009-2012 person A and B filed married filing jointly 2010 person A becomes disabled and defaults on loans 2013 person A gets $55,000 in student loans written off 2014 person A gets a 1099-C, person B fears that they will somehow be liable AND that a lien can be placed on person B’s house bc it is a marital home. I hope my questions are clear. I have gotten a mixed bag of answers from Tax Attorney's, Bankruptcy Attorney's, Family Law Attorney's, CPA's, Accountants...who is correct? BTW, as of a few weeks ago the IRS shutdown their tax department (maybe an Obama cutback??)

1. Kevin Christopher Gleason

Pro

3

Answered . This forum is for simple and general questions, not a substitute for legal and accounting advice. You have surveyed professionals of different disciplines and gotten different answers. You have also done your own independent research. It is time for you to decide what is right. To be safe, why not file separately during the conditional discharge period?

2. Anne-Marie L. Bowen

Pro

3

Answered . Your questions are way too complicated to be answered in this general forum. You need to sit down and meet with a CPA or tax attorney so they can review your entire situation.