Can patient stupidity ever be a defense for medical malpractice?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

Will the defense ever say to the patient "well you were stupid to trust this doctor and stupid not to get a second opinion" don't you know about he "art of diagnosis" even though every GOOD doctor I speak to says that good medicine should try to be as little of an art as possible.

Medical malpractice is based on whether the doctor performed up to the standard of care, i.e., how would a reasonably prudent doctor have have performed under the circumstances.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

In defending the doctor anything is possible. They want to divert attention away from the doctor's actions and towards what you may have done wrong.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

I've never heard of "patient stupidity" as a defense. I've had cases in which the defense said my client failed to follow doctor's orders/recommendations, or even cases where they said the patient contributed to his own injuries by doing X or not doing Y.

Just based upon a quick review of your question, it seems like there have to be occasions when it could, or, at least, should be.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {305} 972-5720), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

In the states where I practice, there is something called contributory negligence or comparative fault. The plaintiff's own mistakes can mitigate the errors of the defendant(s). I suppose this can be called a patient's "stupidity." An example might be a plaintiff that chooses not to return promptly to an ER when their condition dramatically worsens, etc.

With respect, Mr. Marc Stewart, all private doctors, nurses, and medical hospitals (and their government connections) conspire together in the "community". Another word, going to the ER does not yield any benefits to the injured patients as the hospital lawyers often direct their staff to either cover up for the outside doctor/practice (if they are thier friends) or tell them to blame it all on the doctor (if they are their enemies). They never make rational medically beneficial decisions for the best interests of the patient/victim but they decisions (flowed down as the directives) are based on 1. money $$ 2. greed 3. their own political agenda 4. covering up or mitigating their own prior liability etc. And often their nurses (90% women) make it impossible even for most educated person/victim to make good decision due to their incosistencies, lies, prior lies, harassment, and dubious conducts. Some female nurses have even verbalized their hate/greed and stated "Don't come to the ER unless it's for XYZ or (issues which doen't incriminate themselves, their lawyers, or their political friends). They (women, nurses, hospital/health care lawyers, doctors) abuse and use the victim. They intentionally take medical care as an hostage to coerce or manipulate the victim and they instill fear in the victim. It makes no difference if the victim is college educated or not since their (health care perpetrators, women, lawyers et al) tactices are heinous/covert/malicious and persistent and damaging the victim's psychology intentionally. They use the best of the medicine, technology, and psychological manipulation to abuse the victim both ways. (injuries then followed up by the cover ups, lies, and intentional neglects).

There is no "contributing factor" due to the victim or "patient". The patient all want the healthy body and want the best for herself. It's always the external contributing factors, either women, nurses, doctors, hosiptal lawyers, ER doctors/nurses/staff et al which do not allow the person to do for their own self serving agenda. Many times, the nurses harass/abuse/injure the patient/victim so that she doesn't want to return.

I'll say this, I have never been in trail where the defense dared to call my client stupid.
A liar, in so many words, in some cases. But to call a party stupid is to invite a punishing verdict against you. Ergo, the McDonalds coffee spill case.