Can patient stupidity ever be a defense for medical malpractice?

Will the defense ever say to the patient "well you were stupid to trust this doctor and stupid not to get a second opinion" don't you know about he "art of diagnosis" even though every GOOD doctor I speak to says that good medicine should try to be as little of an art as possible.

Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Medical malpractice is based on whether the doctor performed up to the standard of care, i.e., how would a reasonably prudent doctor have have performed under the circumstances.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.
Sponsored Listing
Scott Douglas Camassar

Scott Douglas Camassar

Medical Malpractice Attorney - North Stonington, CT

I've never heard of "patient stupidity" as a defense. I've had cases in which the defense said my client failed to follow doctor's orders/recommendations, or even cases where they said the patient contributed to his own injuries by doing X or not doing Y.

Marc Edward Stewart

Marc Edward Stewart

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Little Rock, AR

In the states where I practice, there is something called contributory negligence or comparative fault. The plaintiff's own mistakes can mitigate the errors of the defendant(s). I suppose this can be called a patient's "stupidity." An example might be a plaintiff that chooses not to return promptly to an ER when their condition dramatically worsens, etc.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Hallandale Beach, FL

Just based upon a quick review of your question, it seems like there have to be occasions when it could, or, at least, should be.

David J. McCormick

David J. McCormick

Personal Injury Lawyer - Milwaukee, WI

In defending the doctor anything is possible. They want to divert attention away from the doctor's actions and towards what you may have done wrong.

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Medical Malpractice Attorney

I'll say this, I have never been in trail where the defense dared to call my client stupid.
A liar, in so many words, in some cases. But to call a party stupid is to invite a punishing verdict against you. Ergo, the McDonalds coffee spill case.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.