Skip to main content

Can paternal grandparents request a court ordered paternity test for visitation purposes if paternity has not been established?

Cleveland, OH |

I live in Ohio with my boyfriend. I was married to my ex at the time of my daughters birth but no name is on the birth certificate (states mother refused to provide name of husband). In my divorce papers it states that my ex husband is not the father. According to the law my ex is "presumed" the father. My boyfriends father is stating that he has legal rights to our daughter and wants visitation. I believe paternity must be established before he can do anything. Can he force us to get a paternity test if my boyfriend and I do not want to? If my boyfriend and I were to get married would that make any difference? I thought I read if the natural parents are married, the grandparent has no case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Grandparents have very few rights. You do not need to feel strong armed into anything but should consult with an attorney for more details specific to your case and to make sure that the divorce decree says what it is supposed to say.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer