Can parties in a divorce agree on the amount of child support to be paid or does a judge decide that?

Asked over 1 year ago - Victoria, TX

I have a looming divorce and it is a question I need answered.

1. Theresa Cay Langford

1

Best Answer

Answered . The parties can agree, and if the number is reasonable - even if not in compliance with guidelines - and the parties have a valid reason for deviating, then the Court will often approve the number.

2. Byron Keith Barclay

Answered . Great answer -- hard for me to improve on the advice you have already received. The Courts are charged with doing what is "in the best interests of the child." That could include allowing the parties to set a reasonable amount of money for child support. Best of luck to you.