Skip to main content

Can part of my probation, such as the amount of classes/community service, be reduced due to serious life circumstances?

Greeley, CO |

I have a disabled daughter, my wife has a pulmonary embolism and I work a full-time job. When I am not working, I am taking care of them. It doesn't leave me time to do my classes and/or community service. My PO doesn't care and has not tried to help me. I don't look good "on paper" because I have blown hot a couple of times in a year. Is it likely that a judge, or whoever can help, will reduce my probation?

Attorney Answers 3


I agree with the other two posters. While it is possible to alter the disposition, it is still a final court order and neither the court or DA has a duty to amend it. In fact, you're probation technically could be revoked for blowing hot alone. You'll likely run into the mentality of "it's not supposed to be convenient" and this is exacerbated if the circumstances you described were known at the time the sentence was imposed. You're more likely to to get an extension to complete the terms than an amendment to the terms, especially if you can show that an undue hardship has been imposed on innocent parties. It would also be helpful if the DA agreed to an extension/amendment but, even then, the court may still uphold the original terms of probation. Your best bet is to speak with an attorney so he can review the facts specific to your case and advise you accordingly. It sounds like you have an uphill battle.

It is impossible to fully assess your matter based on the information provided and, therefore, this answer is intended for general purposes only. This answer not intended as actionable legal advise and no attorney-client relationship has been established nor is intended by this answer.

Mark as helpful


It depends on when you were sentenced, but it is possible. I'd recommend contacting a criminal defense attorney to discuss your options.

The Leier Law Office, LLC, 110 East Oak St. Ste. 220, Fort Collins, CO. Call 970-682-4581 for a free consultation. The answer above does not form an attorney client relationship and does not substitute for advice that can be obtained during an in depth initial consultation.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree

1 comment



ok thank you we are talking to someone friday


It is difficult to reduce them, because they are an alternative to jail.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics