Can part of my probation, such as the amount of classes/community service, be reduced due to serious life circumstances?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greeley, CO

I have a disabled daughter, my wife has a pulmonary embolism and I work a full-time job. When I am not working, I am taking care of them. It doesn't leave me time to do my classes and/or community service. My PO doesn't care and has not tried to help me. I don't look good "on paper" because I have blown hot a couple of times in a year. Is it likely that a judge, or whoever can help, will reduce my probation?

1. Kent Joseph Leier

5

1

Answered . It depends on when you were sentenced, but it is possible. I'd recommend contacting a criminal defense attorney to discuss your options.

2. Sean Stephen Williams

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with the other two posters. While it is possible to alter the disposition, it is still a final court order and neither the court or DA has a duty to amend it. In fact, you're probation technically could be revoked for blowing hot alone. You'll likely run into the mentality of "it's not supposed to be convenient" and this is exacerbated if the circumstances you described were known at the time the sentence was imposed. You're more likely to to get an extension to complete the terms than an amendment to the terms, especially if you can show that an undue hardship has been imposed on innocent parties. It would also be helpful if the DA agreed to an extension/amendment but, even then, the court may still uphold the original terms of probation. Your best bet is to speak with an attorney so he can review the facts specific to your case and advise you accordingly. It sounds like you have an uphill battle.

3. James C Forslund

1

Answered . It is difficult to reduce them, because they are an alternative to jail.