Skip to main content

Can parents be charged with educational neglect if they refuse to consent to special education and related services?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Education law

I'm asking if they can be CHARGED with educational neglect, not if they should or shouldn't consent.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is certainly possible. Especially, if the parents have not laid the appropriate groundwork to support their refusal. This question, however, does not provide enough facts to say more.

Good luck.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.


More facts are needed, but under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 (IDEIA), also referred to as IDEA, parents can opt-out of special education services. Things to consider:

a) Has the child received special education/related services before?

b) Or, is this an initial (first time ever) for special education/related services?

c) Is the public entity (a.k.a. Protective Services) involved at this point?

It's a parent's right under federal special education law to opt-out of special education/related services. So, it's an interesting concept that a parent possibly could be changed with neglect (not so sure it's "education" neglect, though versus neglect in general) unless some extreme facts are involved here. More information is needed, but know that IDEIA or IDEA allows for a parent to opt-out of special education/related services.

Note: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. I provide this response for general, information purposes only. This is not to be construed as legal advice. Consult appropriate legal counsel in your area.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer