Can overseas victim file Identity Thief police report? If so, how? By proxy? Notarized Sworn Affidavit?

Asked 9 months ago - Simi Valley, CA

Local Travel Agent (NV) got access to clients' CC. She charged them well beyond authorized amount (at least, $1K more per customer). I found out that three victims already filed police reports against her in WA (I have case #s). More to come. Friend of mine (another victim of the same scam from the same travel agent) is overseas now, He wants to file his report. What's the way to do that? Where? WA(joining three other victims)? NV(agent's PPB)? CA(where I am)?

1. Greg Thomas Hill

5

2

Best Answer

Answered . Your friend should just call the police where the travel agent is located and make a report The police officer may record the conversation and that should suffice. When it comes time for restitution later in the case, there may be issues with the victim being overseas, but it is better to start the report and stop the travel agent.

2. Greg Hagopian

Pro

6

1

Answered . Police Officers can take a statement over the phone. There is no need for a sworn affidavit. Your friend should contact the police department where the event (the fraud) took place. They are the ones who would investigate any case. That office should be informed, however, of any other police agencies they may wish to contact with similar cases involving the same suspect.

3. Mark Lawrence Deniz

Pro

5

1

Answered . Mr Hill and Hagopian give good advice. Good luck with the issue.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.