Can out-of-status F1 student get married?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I came to the U.S 2 years ago on F1 Visa. However, I became an out-of-status student on Jan because of bad grades, I came home on Feb. I came to the Visa interview, but I was rejected 3 times because of my grades. I have a question that, I have a US girlfriend, and I've known her for 2 years. So, can I marry her and then apply for the immigrant Visa? Will my status in the past affect my chance to obtain a Visa? Thank you so much for that.

1. Edward A Nelson

1

Answered . Of course a person can't get married to a U.S. Citizen in order to become a permanent resident. The person marries a U.S. Citizen in the normal course of their relationship and then applies to adjust status, as a result of the relationship, not as a means to obtain status. The distinction is important to consider where the person is already out of status. They need to prove the relationship is real, and not just a way to get residence. Such a person should work with an attorney to make sure their applications/petitions are sufficient before submitted to USCIS.

2. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can. Note, however, the marriage will be evaluated for genuineness. I do recommend speaking confidentially with an attorney experienced with immigration

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . Adjustment of status based on an Immediate Relative petition [such as spouse of US citizen] requires you to be lawfully admitted into the U.S. There is no requirement that you be in lawful nonimmigrant status.

4. Patrick Ontiveros Cantor

Answered . Yes, one can marry. An individual
    may apply for adjustment of status if he/she is in the United States or he/she may apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy outside of the United States. That person should consult an immigration attorney to discuss the options and legalities.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Can you get married and file for an IV? Yes
    Cost needs to be discussed in private with an attorney.
    Consider a Skype consultation.

6. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

Answered . Yes denials of past visas can negatively impact your possible green card application. Consult an immigration attorney.

7. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . Yes, you may marry a U.S. Citizen and seek a subsequent adjustment via a Petition. There are several legal requisites that must be met for a successful AOS in your case. Seek further in person guidance from a local licensed practitioner.

8. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . Yes you can get married and file for a green card through your wife. Your status makes your file go through tougher scrutiny by the CIS, but if the marriage is bona fide, you will get the green card.