Can our HOA enforce a restriction for residential use only on a property owner that is trying to open a horse boarding stable?

Asked over 2 years ago - Comfort, TX

The deed restrictions prohibit "noxious and nuisance businesses", which a horse stable definitely qualifies as. There are two lots that the developer set aside as being able to have a business (ours) but we moved here because it was quiet and residential. Our business is on the internet and no noise or traffic is generated. This particular property owner says it is his constitutional right to have any business he wants to. However, all owners signed the deed restrictions. The HOA is small and has recently reinstated dues for road repair. There have been no dues for awhile since there were no expenses, but the HOA is still in existence. We are afraid for our privacy, security and quality of life.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A horse stable is not a "noxious and nuisance businesses" and there is no reason for you to be "afraid for [y]our privacy, security and quality of life".

    But be that as it may, if an owner's property is within the HOA, then the owner has to abide by its rules. It is not clear if the property at issue is in the HOA or not - if it is not, then you have no standing, outside of the area's zoning ordinances, to complain. If the area's zoning allows for horse stables, then the owner is well within his rights to open and operate a horse stable. If his property is within the HOA, he must abide by its rules. A local attorney should be able to review the HOA and advise you. The State Bar of Texas can give you a referral:

    If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Related Topics

Real estate zoning laws

Zoning laws are rules that limit how a particular property may be used. For example, as single-family homes, multi-family buildings, commercial, or industry.

Neighbor nuisance disputes

If a nuisance neighbor negatively affects your use or enjoyment of your property, and talking with them doesn't work, you can ask the courts to make them stop.

Ronald A. Cabanayan

Neighbor Disputes in California

Disagreements with your neighbor can be difficult. A survey conducted by in 2013 revealed that almost half of Americans admitted to having been involved in a dispute with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,037 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,037 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering