Can or can't my ex-landlord take my car to satisfy a judgment?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

If my paid for car valued at $10,000 can be confiscated and sold at auction to satisfy a default judgment of $788...Other Attorneys have said that she cannot get my car, but if I try to sell it is the only way she can get the proceeds due to her, correct?...And she doesn't know where I live or have any of my personal information, because I have moved in with friends; besides isn't it costly to put a lien on property, is it practical for her (landlord) to do it?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stephen M Trezza


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . It depends on the exemption laws in your state. California has an exemption that protects equity in a vehicle, I think the amount is $3450 but you need the assistance of an attorney in your state, I suggest you visit with one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,306 answers this week

2,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,306 answers this week

2,958 attorneys answering