Can one use a PO box address for a power of attorney?

Palmdale, CA |

My boyfriend has been incarcerated since 2000. He no longer has a home address, since he has been living in prison for over 12 years now. He just signed a POA naming me as his agent, and when he filled the POA document, he put the prison's PO box address as his address.

1- Will this in any way nullify or affect the validity of this POA? If so, we will have to redo it, which was no easy process, having to go through the CDCR to have it notorized etc (took 2 months).

2- If we have to redo it, what address should he use (since he currently has none of his own), can he use my address (in which case it would be the same address as the agent named in the POA - is that allowed?)

Any advice appreciated.

Note: In looking at this POA closer I just realized he also put my PO box address as my address (the agent). So basically the addresses of both the person who is appointing the agent and the agent who is being appointed are PO boxes, one being the prison PO box and one being my own personal PO box where I live.

I know of no disqualification of a power of attorney due to the type of address, or even no address, on the power of attorney.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I agree with Attorney Doland. This should not pose a problem for you.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

I agree with both of the other attorneys here.

Wills and estates topics