Can one use a PO box address for a power of attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Palmdale, CA

My boyfriend has been incarcerated since 2000. He no longer has a home address, since he has been living in prison for over 12 years now. He just signed a POA naming me as his agent, and when he filled the POA document, he put the prison's PO box address as his address.

1- Will this in any way nullify or affect the validity of this POA? If so, we will have to redo it, which was no easy process, having to go through the CDCR to have it notorized etc (took 2 months).

2- If we have to redo it, what address should he use (since he currently has none of his own), can he use my address (in which case it would be the same address as the agent named in the POA - is that allowed?)

Any advice appreciated.

Additional information

Note: In looking at this POA closer I just realized he also put my PO box address as my address (the agent). So basically the addresses of both the person who is appointing the agent and the agent who is being appointed are PO boxes, one being the prison PO box and one being my own personal PO box where I live.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I know of no disqualification of a power of attorney due to the type of address, or even no address, on the power of attorney.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  2. Jacques Tushinsky-Fox

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I agree with both of the other attorneys here.

  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with Attorney Doland. This should not pose a problem for you.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,828 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,828 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering