Can one still have a court ordered drug rehab program even after sentencing for burglary?

San Anselmo, CA |

A 30 year old woman with a heroin addition was arrested for possession and then a few weeks later for burglary in Ca. She has had multi public defenders. She pleaded guilty to burglary and is now in jail for 1 1/2 years (1/2 her 3 year sentence) She wants to go to rehab but it was never offered. What alternatives does she have at this point. One has to know how the system really works. We are all naive.

Depending on the jurisdiction she is being housed in there are probably substance abuse programs in jail. If you are asking will they release her to do a program the answer is no.

No release, but there are programs in house.

I concur with the other attorneys. It sounds like she is headed to state prison where they have programs that she can voluntarily participate in, including Narcotics Anonymous. Hopefully she takes this time to deal with her addiction so that she can avoid repeat problems.

I was hoping that she could appeal. I believe if she had not used a public defender she would not be in jail but in rehab where she belongs. Thank you for responding.