Can one start a business as a non lawyer and help people with there divorce .

Asked about 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

Can one print out approved court documents and help people fill out there documents for a divorce with out a lawyer if a disclosure from non lawyer is signed. Please help.

1. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

14

Answered . There is a prohibition against the Unlicensed Practice of Law. You can refer to the Rules Regulating the Florida Bar for additional information.

Tami L. Augen Rhodes

2. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

13

Answered . People have tried to sdo it but they always end up running afoul of the unauthorized practice of law. Be very careful.

3. Brent Allan Rose

10

1

Best Answer

Answered . Many states, including Florida, choose not to prohibit independent paralegals (paralegals who don't work for lawyers) or "non-lawyers." My mother did it for 20 years in the area you posted from (Tampa), and she made quite a career out of it. The other lawyers are right to caution you, though. There are strict laws in Florida and elsewhere against giving legal advice without a having a law license, and I'm not sure the laws are always clear. Various courts (like the nation's bankruptcy courts) also have rules regarding what non-lawyers can do, and they are quick to drag non-lawyers into court for violating the rules (their rule is "typing and copying only").

Non-lawyers are common in south Florida, but not so much in Tampa Bay, though they were once numerous here. I wish you luck should you choose this career.

4. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

10

Answered . I would not recommend it.

5. John Arthur Smitten

9

Answered . Cannot practice law without a license. Advising people as to forms is practicing law.

6. Pamela Koslyn

10

Answered . My colleagues are right, lawyers are understandably protective of our territory, and legislatures are often lawyers, so every state that I know of bars the unlicensed practice of law. Even the big sites like LegalZoom are fighting court battles against the bar associations, so smaller companies don't stand much of a chance.

7. Edward Brandon Beckham

5

Answered . Consult with your state bar regarding the relevant rules.