Skip to main content

Can one spouse take property purchased by the other spouse's parents as a gift to the children?

Chalfont, PA |

My son and his wife are separating. They had their first child prior to marriage and during that time, we purchased a set of beds for the child's room. Now his wife is moving out and wants to take the furniture that we bought and leave nothing for when the children are with their father. Is there a way he or we assure that what we bought stays with him?

Attorney Answers 3


The beds were given as a gift and therefore, owned by the parties. As such, they are subject to equitable distribution in the divorce. I would have his lawyer deal with this issue directly with your soon to be ex daughter in law.

Responses on AVVO do not create an attorney-client relationship. You shold consult with counsel for a full review of your case.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


If you don't already have a lawyer, hire one to help you. The law is complex and there may be things that can be done that you didn't know about. Good luck!

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Unfortunately, the beds were a gift to the marriage, both parents. Usually the children's belongings follow the children to minimize the affects on them. Have your son contact his attorney or have him retain one.

Sheryl R. Rentz
326 West Lancaster Ave
Suite 100
Ardmore, PA 19003

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics