Can one go to the fiance visa interview in another country?

Houston, TX |

My friend is residing in Canada, but she is a Brazilian citizen. Can she go to the interview in Canada? If yes, does this mean that she has to live in Canada legally in order to do so? Thanks!

Your fiancé can apply for the K-1 visa in the Montréal only if she's a "landed immigrant"in Canada, i.e. has the legal right to reside in Canada or is there in any valid non-immigrant status, except tourist. Otherwise she will need to have that interview at the US Consulate in Brazil.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

What if she is residing in Canada for 6 months at the time of the interview notice? Her tourist visa allows her to stay up to six months and then extend that time period after that.

If she is in legal status in Canada, the interview will be scheduled there, not Brazil.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Does "legal status" mean tourist too? She is there legally, but not as a permanent resident, as a tourist.

I agree with my colleagues.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.ImmigrationDesk.com. Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

Marriage and prenups topics