Skip to main content

Can one be deported on an expired and altered passport?

Charlotte, NC |

I am facing deportation with Immigration , i have been on Order of supervision for almost 2yrs and immigration got hold of my old passport , it expired 7yrs ago and the date has been altered too.
Can i be deported to my home country using that passport? My home country have informed me that i will not be allowed entry into my country with that passport because the passport colour i have is no longer accepted as a document, they have changed to a different color 10 years a ago and all passports are digital not handwritten like mine.
I will have to apply for a new passport from my country through the embassy which will take almost 3 months and ICE is not trying to hear that.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. ICE is likely making efforts to obtain the necessary travel documents from your country in order to remove you. ICE is asking for your cooperation to help them in this process.

    I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case, to determine how best to proceed. You might have possible ways to avoid being removed, but you would need to consult as soon as possible with an experienced lawyer to determine what is the best plan of action.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  2. The basis for your order of supervision will control. Were you granted withholding of removal? If so, from what country and when? Has there been a substantial change of circumstances in that country since you were granted your benefit? You should discuss this matter with an attorney.

  3. As ICE has a copy of your old passport they can show your home country consulate that you are their citizen and obtain the necessary documents to deport you. Please consult with an experienced removal defense attorney to see if you have any way of reopening your case to stop removal.

  4. Much depends on the reason you were placed under an order of supervision and your counties willingness to accept you. If you were placed on an order of supervision because ICE tried to remove you and they were unable to obtain a travel document, ICE will continue efforts to obtain a travel document. If successful they will remove you to your home country. You should meet with an Immigration attorney to review your situation and determine if you have any options.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics