Can not find the entity name from CA Secretary of State's web site

Palo Alto, CA |

I did Business Search for entity name by http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/cbs.aspx and got " Record not found".

Will the business registered in San Jose city or Santa Clara county show up in Secretary of State's web site? What should I do if I can not identify the entity name?

The Secretary of State's website doesn't show business names registered in cities and counties. It just shows corporations formed and licensed to do business in California. Search the internet for the company name or other business sites such as linkedin.com.

2. If you filed a fictitious business name, that's a DBA, and the CA Secretary of State only has corporations, LLCs, LLPs, registered partnerships, unincorporated associations, etc.

Check the County recorders' websites in the Counties you filed your DBAs. And if you haven't waited until the publication period has passed and the DBA has actually been granted, it won't show up there, either.

Please see the FAQ linked below.

Hire a business lawyer if you're still confused.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. The entity you searched is the CA Secretary of State's website for business searches. On that website you have to click business search, click box that says corp or LLC and then put in name of business you want to search. It will come up if it is registered.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Business topics