Can NJ DYFS be sued for giving away who made a report with them?

Washington, NJ |

I (along with my 2 children) witnessed my neighbor (other half of a duplex house with very thin walls) drunkenly throw a chair at, grab by the hair and throw to the floor their 12 year old daughter. I reported the incident to the DYFS hotline. During the call they asked a lot of questions all of which I answered truthfully. I specifically asked that they don't give specific details because this family has already vandalized my house. When they arrived I could hear them repeatedly ask who called and eventually the worker began to go through the call and help them figure it out! Sure enough not only was my house vandalized again but they then called the hormones and just made up things about me for revenge! How is this legal?? How are people supposed to feel safe reporting abuse??

An interesting question. NJSA 9:6-8.10a lays out the state law regarding confidentiality of DYFS records, including the name of informants to the child abuse hotline. Furthermore, NJSA 9:6-8.10b states that it is a misdemeanor to violate those confidentiality provisions, so if it is proven that a case worker revealed or gave sufficient information to the parents for them to figure out that you were the reporter, that would be a violation subject to criminal penalties. If you prove that DYFS was responsible for your name being revealed (or even sufficient information was given to the parents for them to figure that you were the reporter) you may have cause for suit based upon the violation of your rights.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

Savyon Grant

Savyon Grant

Do you know a case where a dyfs worker was sentenced to probation or jail times for revealing a confindential informants name

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody