Can my wife who is soon to be a green card holder sponsor me? How long is the process? Do i have to maintain my original status?

Asked about 3 years ago - Alameda, CA


My wife is going to be a green card holder very soon. We weren't married when she filed for a green card process. Now what is the process beside petition/ I30 which i can do to have my status change. I am still on F1 Status.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Javier G Pineda

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . If she has not been approved for residency yet, you need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine if her classification allows for derivatives. It may not matter that you were not married when she filed or it may matter a lot. Much more information is needed. Go see an immigration attorney.

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. Additionally, depending on how she was petitioned, a marriage could disqualify her from immigrating.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,763 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,763 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering