Can my wife who is soon to be a green card holder sponsor me? How long is the process? Do i have to maintain my original status?

Asked about 3 years ago - Alameda, CA

Hello,

My wife is going to be a green card holder very soon. We weren't married when she filed for a green card process. Now what is the process beside petition/ I30 which i can do to have my status change. I am still on F1 Status.

1. Javier G Pineda

Answered . If she has not been approved for residency yet, you need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine if her classification allows for derivatives. It may not matter that you were not married when she filed or it may matter a lot. Much more information is needed. Go see an immigration attorney.

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Additionally, depending on how she was petitioned, a marriage could disqualify her from immigrating.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.