Can my wife get spousal support after 4 years of marriage in CA?

Asked about 3 years ago - Palmdale, CA

My wife and I have been married for 4 years, but I’m filing for divorce due to unhappiness. She claims she can get money out of me and take whatever I have. Could that happen? If so, what will I be paying?

What are some things that she can take or have? We have no kids and we lived with my parents during our marriage. The car is under my name and I have my own bank account. She recently lost her job and she has no license. She also has a history of stealing and doing drugs. She isn't in school, nor does she have a job. What are the good and bads for my side?

1. Edmund Lee Montgomery

Pro

Answered . Spousal support is based on the marital standard of living and from the sounds of things there was not enough money to create any real standard of living.

It is possible that she could get some support for a short period of time. The actual amount would depend on your income and her income.

2. Kristen Ashleigh Holstrom

Pro

Answered . Spousal support in CA is based upon the marital standard of living during marriage. The length one spouse can receive spousal support is based on the duration of the marriage. If ordered at all, the spousal support order shall not exceed more than 1/2 of the duration of the marriage. You should contact a local attorney and see if they could run some ex-spouse numbers for you based upon both of your incomes. This will give you a better idea of what you are looking at, if anything at all.

3. Michael J Corbin

Answered . To be frank, it doesn't sound like you could afford to pay support, even if it were awarded. If she is capable of self-support, then I doubt she's going to get alimony - there really aren't any assets to split and you weren't married for that long.

Now, CA is a community property state, but you don't really own anything, so there can't be that much to divide up.