Can my wife be sued over unsecured credit card debt???

Asked over 4 years ago - Macon, GA

my wife has several credit card accounts she has quit paying bc we simply couldn't afford minimum payments due to a 700 per month cut in pay.......
i offered to pay several 20 per month and they refused.........

can she be sued ???

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Angel Marie Van Wieren

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Yes, your wife can be sued for non-payment of unsecured debt. Try consulting with a NON-PROFIT debt settlement/consolidation company, or request a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney in your area.

    *My response to your question posed on did not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Brian E. Daughdrill

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The short answer is yes, she can indeed be sued. Other consequences can include the creditor writing off the debt and sending you a tax form reporting the forgiveness of debt as "income" to you for which you then have to pay taxes.
    Working with a not-for-profit credit counselor may help. Depending on the amount of the debt you may also want to consult with a banruptcy attorney.

    Nothing in this response as posted on may be deemed to create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,380 answers this week

2,903 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,380 answers this week

2,903 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary