Can my wife be made to pay the costs of a contempt after a divorce in MA? Middlsex county

Asked almost 3 years ago - Weston, MA

It doesn't seem fair that if she fails to comply, I should have to pay another lawyer to get what i already bargained for and have to pay a lawyer. I am in business and appreicate what things costs so i am not cheap but having to pay someone for something i already contracted for doesn't seem logical?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

11

30

Best Answer

Answered . Absolutely, as my collegue who is an outstanding attonrey and whom I would highly recommend that you consult with has so well stated it depends upon how poorly the other party has acted and honestly the judges mood. You should absolutely include that request for fees in your complaint. Take care and good luck.

2. Philip W. Mason

Pro

12

Answered . Part of your prayer for relief should be a request for attorney fees. If you are successful in the prosecution of you contempt action the judge may, and often does, award your attorney fees and costs. If the contempt is particularly egregious the judge may issue sanctions.

3. James M Lynch

7

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that it is a matter addressed to the sole discretion of the judge and should be requested in your complaint. The outcome varies from judge to judge depending upon the individual circumstances presented and it is not a certainty that attorneys fees will be awarded.