Can my unemployment benefits be dismissed after my former employer offers rehire for a lower paying position?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lancaster, PA

today my former employer left a message stating they would like to offer me a job in customer service (i used to be a marketing consultant) while i am currently receiving UC benefits until i can find a new job. I cannot accept this position because it is a large decrease in pay at full-time, also i am in need of part time work since the child care services and family care have all changed their schedules after my termination. can i be dismissed from UC benefits if i call back and answer that i cannot accept?

1. Terence Sean McGraw

Pro

Answered . Yes. You can. Refusal of suitable work can disqualify you for benefits. Your employer will certainly report your refusal. Talk to UC before you reply. go over the particulars of your situation. If the offer is for part time work, you may still be eligible to receive some UC and your wages.

2. Edward Clement Sweeney

Pro

Answered . You need to consult a UC lawyer with all the facts. However, generally speaking, if the Employer unilaterally reduces your pay substantially you can go out on unemployment. Child care issues can also be a reason, but why would you have these obligations now and not before. I note that many UC Referees with people looking for jobs in this economy look carefully any situation where you have been offered a job. Consult with a lawyer. It really is a difficult fact situation and an attorney needs to know more in order to be able to give you good advice.