Can my spouse take me to court after settling custody in mediation because I started seeing someone during separation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

Spouse is threatening court procedures after discovering I was seeing someone after separation. I filed for divorce 2 months before leaving. Spouse found this out after mediation agreement for custody was signed. What ramifications will this have on custody and property distribution? Also threatening other party involved with lawsuit. Is this possible?

1. Vicki Elaine Wiley

5

Answered . Check the language on your mediated agreement. In Texas mediated settlements are binding. It is highly unlikely that the third party during separation will have status of a substantial change of circumstance that must be proved for a change. Please consult a Family attorney in your local area. Many attorneys, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case.

2. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

11

Answered . Unless the mediation was court ordered and binding, either of you can seek redress before a judge. take care. It does not mean she will prevail.

3. Celia R Reed

2

Answered . The custody agreement is binding and the court will honor and enforce it. Your spouse also has no cause of action against the third party.

You would be well-served to consult with a family law attorney and perhaps seek a restraining order if the threats continue.