Can my spouse sue her family for sexual, physical, and mental abuse as a child?

Asked 11 months ago - Oceanside, CA

My spouse served four years in the military where she was sexually harassed and discharged for bipolar disorder. She is now further in therapy and is uncovering memories of sexual abuse. She has already reported in the military to doctors events of physical and mental. What can she do, she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, major depression, anxiety, anorexia, adhd, childhood ptsd, and so much more. She is going to need countless years of therapy, and we just had a new born so im dealing with after baby blues. Who can we sue, she reported abuse on many occasions in NY where she lived and no one was ever charged. She was even kicked out of her house at only 17 after her aunt lost in a custody battle for her. Her adopted mother in NY still making money off her special needs brothers.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Heather Mellyn Cullen


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is in your best interest to discuss these issues with an experienced criminal attorney who practices in the state wherein the crimes occurred (it sounds like New York). There may be issues relating to the time frame of the crimes and an expiration of time for filing against such issues (both criminal and civil remedies). This is not a family law issue or an issue that appears to be in California. However, if you would like to review the current statute of limitations regarding these types of crimes I have included it below.

    15+ Years Experience. (951) 715-4632. DISCLAIMER: This answer and any information contained herein are intended... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,239 answers this week

3,354 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,239 answers this week

3,354 attorneys answering