Skip to main content

Can My Spouse Refuse to Sign Divorce Papers ? How can i take my divorce Quickly and with less money ?

11373 |

im from new york

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    unfortunately, if your spouse refuses to sign you cannot force him, however your state is a no fault divorce state and he cannot stop the process, you will now need to formerly have him served, and if he doesn't respond you can file a default type action, you will get divorced, please hire a local attny, it will make your life alot easier. take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Absolutely. Your spouse is not required to sign anything. Commence an action for divorce and personally serve him with same. Thereafter, you may proceed with or without his cooperation. The cost depends upon many factors. You should meet with a divorce attorney who can assit you.

  3. Simply commence a divorce and have your spouse served. If he/she doesn't respond within the statutory timeframe you may proceed to enter a default judgment against him/her.

    Please note that this general response to your inquiry does not establish an attorney-client relationship.You should consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.

  4. Good day:

    To supplement the other lawyers the issue of the default and next step will also depend on wether their are joint debt, joint assets, children and the desire for spousal maintenance. Factors such as current Family court Orders may help. If not then in most courts an inquest must be requested.

    See local counsel they can answer what is needed in your case and the cost thereof.


    I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in NY so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

  5. You ask the impossible. You can't get a quick, cheap divorce while your spouse is not cooperative. Some things have to be done the hard way, and an action must be started which will likely settle at some point.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics