Can my spouse evict me?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Auburn, ME

My husband no longer wants to be with me. He verbally agreed to let me stay in his home until I could save money, but refused to put it in writing. Today I came home to find a note saying the home is his, good-bye, good luck and his wedding ring.

I am fearful right now he will return and try to remove me. I can't speak to a local lawyer until tomorrow. If we are still legally married, no divorce has been filed, can he have me removed from the home?

He cut off communication with me 4 weeks ago, and is having an affair. I can't get him to speak with me about any of this. I have offered to pay rent to him and he refused my offer. I don't know what my rights may be in this situation.

1. Edgardo Rafael Baez

1

1

Answered . Although I do not practice law in your state, under general principles of law, since you are married to him, you have as much rights as he does to the dwelling. Please, contact a local attorney ASAP!