Skip to main content

Can my soon to be Ex get part of the business during the divorce proceedings?

Bakersfield, CA |

In process of making corporation changes with a new business partner. Can my spouse touch the business once the papers have been changed to new ownership?

Attorney Answers 3


Income earned by either spouse during marriage is community property, including income generated from the business of either spouse. Change of ownership will not affect this.

You should discuss further with your family law attorney.

Good luck!

Armen Taslakian. 818. 937.3590. Note: Armen Taslakian is an attorney licensed in the State of California. The answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Maybe no the business but the spouse's interest in the business. The change won't insulate the business.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


you should discuss all the facts with a family law attorney. Keeping this simple, she is your partner in all income matters from the time you are married until the date you are separated and living apart.

The advice provided is in good faith but not a guaranty of accuracy under all circumstances.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics