CAN MY SONS FATHER CLAIM OUR SON ON HIS TAXES IF MY SON LIVES WITH ME AND MY PARENTS

Old Bridge, NJ |

HE PAYS $100 A WK FOR SUPPORT IM A STUDENT IN COLLEGE ,HE LIVES WITH HIS MOM AND THE BABY AND I LIVE WITH MY PARENTS HE WANTS TO FILE MY SON ON HIS TAXES BUT DOESNT PROVIDE HOUSING FOR HIM IS THAT POSSIBLE

You can read publication 501 to help guide you

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2012_publink1000220868

The short answer would be yes because his son would be a qualifying child of separated parents living apart, essentially he is taking care of his son and therefore his son is a real dependent. Hope this helps.

Isai Bismark Cortez, Esq. www.bismarktax.com Office 855-829-6055 DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS GENERAL INFORMATION AND LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. PLEASE CHECK WITH A LOCAL ATTORNEY OR CONTACT THE IRS OR STATE TAXING AUTHORITY WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

I agree with my colleague.

Leonard R. Boyer, Esq. 201-.675-.5577. If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer" Please be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

If the father provides more than 50% of the child support he can claim him as a dependent. If neither the father or yourself have agreed who gets the dependent deduction that becomes a fact issue to be proven to the IRS.

Child support topics