Skip to main content

Can my son sue the city jail because he was attacked and his face was cut

Jamaica, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

While in dept of corrections custody his face was slashed

Attorney Answers 3


These can be hard cases. He has to prove that the jail had reason to know the person was a threat to your son. Had they had incidents before? Had the person attacked anyone else? He needs to serve a Notice of Claim within 90- days of the incident.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


The answer is maybe, if corrections was on notice of a possible danger or failed in doing a duty they should reasonably have done then you might have a suit...

Mark as helpful


You must make certain to give timely notice of claim within 90 days of the incident without court permission , then file within one year thereafter or you lose the right to sue. You give no facts, so I can't give any advice, but having handled a number of these cases, they are diffiuclt to prove and/or get substantial damages.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics