Can my son sue the city jail because he was attacked and his face was cut

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

While in dept of corrections custody his face was slashed

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . These can be hard cases. He has to prove that the jail had reason to know the person was a threat to your son. Had they had incidents before? Had the person attacked anyone else? He needs to serve a Notice of Claim within 90- days of the incident.

2. Carlos Gonzalez

Pro

Answered . The answer is maybe, if corrections was on notice of a possible danger or failed in doing a duty they should reasonably have done then you might have a suit...

3. Marco Caviglia

Answered . You must make certain to give timely notice of claim within 90 days of the incident without court permission , then file within one year thereafter or you lose the right to sue. You give no facts, so I can't give any advice, but having handled a number of these cases, they are diffiuclt to prove and/or get substantial damages.