Can my son stay with a family friend if his father can't take care of him?

Asked over 1 year ago - Woodstock, GA

My son moved to the USA from our home in Australia to live with his father in Woodstock ga. He wants to stay but his father took a job that requires international travel and he . wants to send him back to Australia . My sons friends family is willing to have him stay with them. What do I do to make this happen?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You've left out details that matter. You haven't told us who has legal custody (or physical custody). Unless a court changes that, what the court order says decides where the child lives. As a general rule, friends cannot, without the cooperation of both parents, get custody. All of this is information you need to discuss with a lawyer.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,881 answers this week

3,131 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,881 answers this week

3,131 attorneys answering