Can my son be laid off from a union WA State iron worker job because he has been in an auto accident and cannot work right now?

Auburn, WA |

My son was in an auto accident and doctor said he can be on light duty. Employer states that they have no light duty, but the job will be ending in a couple of months anyway and would he liked to be laid off? Of course he doesn't want to be laid off. If they have no light duty available, what are his rights?

I added a few more practice area tags to help get you some answers from lawyers in your state.

He should start by contacting his union representative. Light duty is always an option but not all employers have available light duty and they don't need to create it. That said, they are required to discuss reasonable accommodation of any disability he may have from the accident. Light duty isn't the only form of accommodation. Layoff from a union position might not be a terrible choice as he will have recall rights. It is critical that he contact his union rep ASAP.

Your son can get free advice from his Union rep.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Sounds like something shady might be brewing there. I would contact a local practitioner well versed in employment labor law for that state.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
“LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
Jackson Heights, NY 11370
T. (347) 628-2391
F. (718) 672-4728
E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
www.EstrellaLawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com

If the Employer has no light duty available, your son's rights are going to depend in part on what is contained in the union's collective bargaining agreement. The union contract may provide for certain benefits while he is off, and it may govern his right to recall if a layoff does occur. The employer likely offered the early layoff to enable your son to get unemployment benefits, but whether or not that is a good choice depends on the other options available and whether your son would continue to enjoy recall rights. I think it makes sense to review the situation with the union representative and with an attorney.

Recommended articles about Employment