Can my sister(US citizen living outside of the US) get a green card for me(living in US with a student visa)?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

My sister is a U.S. citizen born in the U.S (April 1994). She wants to apply for a green card for me at the summer of next year. I am currently living in the U.S. as a student(f1). Is that possible?and if it is, how long it will usually take to get the green card.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, it is possible if you are prepared to wait for the green card for the next 14 years while either being outside of the US or maintaining a valid nonimmigrant status. Any other option would make you ineligible for that very green card.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Ji Min Kim


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes it is possible.

  3. Miroslava Orduno Rincon

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree, it is possible, but ir will likely take several years. This, it is better to file now rather than waiting oe year! Moreover, the sibling category could possibly be eliminated by the immigration reform. Thus, it is better to file now to be safe.

    This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not... more
  4. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . She can apply for you, but it will take at least 10 years, and you cannot stay here to wait for it unless you can maintain some other type of legal immigration status. I would strongly encourage you to discuss other options by scheduling a consultation with an immigration attorney.

  5. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your sister may apply for you. Presently the waiting period exceeds 10 years, however, even though there is a long wait I recommend that you have her apply for you as thoroughly as possible. You should also consider having a consultation with an immigration attorney to explore other possibilities and to understand the process when a sibling applies for a brother or sister.


    Robert Brown LLC
    Baldwin Park Center
    4767 New Broad Street
    Orlando, Florida 32814

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now