Can my sister(US citizen living outside of the US) get a green card for me(living in US with a student visa)?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

My sister is a U.S. citizen born in the U.S (April 1994). She wants to apply for a green card for me at the summer of next year. I am currently living in the U.S. as a student(f1). Is that possible?and if it is, how long it will usually take to get the green card.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

13

Answered . Yes, it is possible if you are prepared to wait for the green card for the next 14 years while either being outside of the US or maintaining a valid nonimmigrant status. Any other option would make you ineligible for that very green card.

2. Ji Min Kim

Pro

6

Answered . Yes it is possible.

3. Miroslava Orduno Rincon

5

1

Answered . I agree, it is possible, but ir will likely take several years. This, it is better to file now rather than waiting oe year! Moreover, the sibling category could possibly be eliminated by the immigration reform. Thus, it is better to file now to be safe.

4. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

4

1

Answered . She can apply for you, but it will take at least 10 years, and you cannot stay here to wait for it unless you can maintain some other type of legal immigration status. I would strongly encourage you to discuss other options by scheduling a consultation with an immigration attorney.

5. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

3

Answered . Your sister may apply for you. Presently the waiting period exceeds 10 years, however, even though there is a long wait I recommend that you have her apply for you as thoroughly as possible. You should also consider having a consultation with an immigration attorney to explore other possibilities and to understand the process when a sibling applies for a brother or sister.

321.208.7324
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brownimmigrationFL.com

Robert Brown LLC
    Baldwin Park Center
    4767 New Broad Street
    Orlando, Florida 32814

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now