Can my sister force me to give her power of attorney of stocks that is in both our names and also in a family living trust?

Asked over 1 year ago - Georgetown, TX

She is sending me a summons through legal aide to appear in a California court, am in Texas

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adam Nelson Rieck

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Frederick and Mr. Pankowski are right, there needs to be more information for a good answer. Do you know who the Trustee of your trust is? You should call them, or have your attorney call them immediately and see what is going on. If your sister has commenced an action against the trust as a beneficiary, it's odd that you are just getting a summons and not previous communications or filings as well.

    The above comments are made by an attorney at The Rieck Law Firm (RLF). RLF offers free initial consultation to... more
  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Probably not. You have not really provided enough information to understand what is going on in your situation. Since you have received a summons, the only sensible thing to do would be to review it with your lawyer. You likely have only a limited time to respond. If you fail to do so, you may lose your opportunity to object to what your sister is trying to do.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Frederick is correct. Retain a lawyer not only to review the summons, but the underlying documentation and assets in the trust. He or she will advise you as to your duties as a fiduciary and how to best respond to your sister. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,485 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,485 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering