Can my sister (a US citizen) apply for family based green card (GC) if i am on H1-B, with no hope for employment based GC?

Asked over 1 year ago - Cincinnati, OH

I am on my 5th year of H1-B and due to workload issues, my employer has refused to process my GC. Also due to reduced workload, i am at a risk of loosing my current job. Due to the time constraints involved, if my sister applied for family based GC, am i still allowed to stay and work in US if i loose my job. Or do i have to return back to my home country? Please advise. Are there other options for me to take/initiate while i am on a legal status to allow me to continue to stay and work in the US?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . No. A sibling's petition typically takes more than 10-12 years go through, and the fact that a sibling has filed a

petition on your behalf does not give you the right to remaining the US while it is pending .

2. Andrew Marino Bramante

4

1

Answered . Your sister can file an I-130 for you and should do so immediately in case a law change eliminates the sibling visa, but it will give you no legal status until your priority date is current. This could take 5-15 years again depending on what, if anything, a new law does.
    Why won't your company petition for you?

From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network

----- Reply message -----

3. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

3

1

Answered . Your sister should file the visa petition for you. I will not give you status for many years. Unless there is a change in the IINA. There are other legal options available depending on your situation. You should consult with an immigration attorney to see if any apply to you.

216.861.4414
    rbrown@rbrwonllc.com
    www.brown-immigration.com

4. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

4

1

Answered . I agree that the answer is no. And what's worse, if you remain in United States, you will fall out of status. That means you will be disqualified from adjustment of status. You will also be subject to deportation upon discovery.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney to discuss other immigration visa options. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  5. Lalita Haran

2

Answered . You can try finding a different H1 employer who is more helpful. Other options may be available depending upon you situation. To learn please seek a private consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Sibling green card will let you stay and work only AFTER APPROVAL and there is long processing time at present but that may change. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com