Skip to main content

Can my Sis-in-Law (Wife's elder sister) who is naturalised through her marriage sponsor us though we are out of status?

Toledo, OH |

Me and my wife are out of status immigrants for past 41/2 years we arrived on B2 Visitors & as is obvious overstayed beyond I-94 validity. My wife's older sister just became naturalised US citizen through her marriage 6 years ago. Can she petition for our green card tough we have been out of status for this long? If yes what is the process and how long should it take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your wife's sister could petition for your wife but the wait time depends on which country your wife is from. It could potentially take a long time. Also, your sister-in-law could only petition for your wife, not for you. You can look at the visa bulletins online to estimate the wait time. There might be another and potentially faster way to be in legal status.

I suggest discussing the case with an immigration attorney who can give you answers to the specifics of the case. The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Law Office of Ruby Lichte Powers
5535 Memorial Drive, Suite F-130
Houston, TX 77007
Tel: 713-589-2085
Fax: 713-589-3101

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer