Can my school force me to release medical records?

Buffalo, NY |

i took a drug test that had nothing to do with the school, they found out it existed and are threatening me with expulsion if i don't sign a release of information so my principle can talk to my doctor. i am 18.

1. No, not in these circumstances. But, if this is a private school, you can be expelled based on nothing more than the school's belief that you used drugs unlawfully, so you may want to voluntarily provide such evidence as would vindicate you.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.