Can my roomate turn off the power to my room?

Venice, FL |

We are going thru a break up and until my new home is ready two weeks from now . I've moved into the guest room/office where I also work my job. I paid my part of the rent for the month and half the utility bill she Just paid and now she is threatening to come in here right now and shut off my breaker.and I am working. The electric is in her name. I know this is just a way to continue to bully me but is it legal?? And if not...what can I do if she follows thru? I dont want to pay her again..she hasnt even received a bill as she just paid the last one..Help!

No, the roommate cannot turn off power to your room.
Is the roommate the property owner or a fellow tenant?

If the property owner turns off the power, you can demand triple rent for the amount
of time that the utility is off.

No. the roomate isnt the property owner. The electric is in her name. What recourse do I have if she shuts off my breaker?

As has been said before, the breaker can't be flipped by the landlord or the roommate cutting off your utilities.

Assuming the roommate is doing this despite you paying them for utilities, the recourse would be to sue the roommate for the pro rata share of utilities you paid which they are withholding improperly. Also try talking to the roommate to resolve the problem which is, at this point, seemingly small compared to the way it will appear once it gets before any decider of fact.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed. www.AssociationAssessmentAttorneys.com

Thank you. I actually took the day off today and spoke to a police officer at the station who advised me that she cannot turn off my power. Unfortunately its beyond speaking to her about it as this is just one of a slew of other insidents that she has used for intimidation in our domestic break up.

Robert Lawrence Todd

Robert Lawrence Todd

You have the answer to your question. Now practically, stay away from your roomate as best you can, or find another place to stay. Domestic issues can get messy and you can wind up in jail over nonsense.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship. www.lygnoslawfirm.com Free Consultation 813 259-9494 Michael Lygnos, Esq., Lygnos Law Firm P.A., Serving Tampa Bay, Florida

Landlord-tenant topics