Can my relative file for Employment Authorization (I-765) concurrently with a status adjustment?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

The relative is a parent who I'm petitioning for. They have a valid SS# but it isn't valid for employment.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can file the I-765 with the I-485 Adjustment of Status application. The USCIS website states that " may file these forms together. If you choose to file the I-765 ... separately after July 30, 2007, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485."

    It is also important to note that no additional fee is required to file a I-765 with a I-485 application (which was filed on or after July 30 , 2007)

    Good Luck!

    This is not legal advice & no attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . They can file 485 and 765 together

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Leon Versfeld

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

The rule of thumb in US immigration status is:"You can not change status if you are not in status." This means that if your non-immigrant status has expired (i.e. B1-visitor), you can... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,741 answers this week

3,717 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,741 answers this week

3,717 attorneys answering