Can my personal business be sued

Asked over 1 year ago - Kosciusko, MS

Sold car for $1200 forgot to cancel insurance policy. Buyer totaled car out in a single car wreck. Ins paid me $3,000 because title still in my name. Paid driver and owner of car $1500 of ins money , now she is threating to sue my husbands personal business

1. Tanya Marie Bachand

5

Answered . Not unless the car was in the business name, or an employee was driving it at the time in the course of business. There has to be SOME connection between the accident and the business, you don't get to sue a business just because the owner was involved in an accident. There are a myriad of ways to do it, however, depending on all kinds of factual scenarios. My guess is she is bluffing.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague-- unless the business has a connection to the collision, there is nothing to worry about.

Pro

3

Answered . It sounds like you paid her, so make sure a good release is signed.

4. Martin W. Judnich

Pro

2

Answered . It is unclear to me why they are threatening to sue you at all. It appears you gave them more than what they paid for the car, and they were at fault for not changing title to it quick enough. Why are they unhappy? Do they want the totaled car price in full from you?

licensed attorney in Montana. Your specific state laws may be different.