Can my parole officer tell me I cant see my 17 year old because of my past dwi w/ child endangerment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

Already served time for it. Plus isnt my kid considered adults?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 17 is not an adult for any but criminal law purposes in Texas. By that I mean 17 is old enough to be prosecuted as an adult but a child for all other purposes in Texas.

    Your parole conditions set out what you can, cannot, and/or must do while on parole. It is generally best to do as the parole officer says unless you want to stir up a hornet's nest even if the things asked of a parolee are not included in the parole conditions.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  2. Cynthia Russell Henley

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your parole officer tells you something, and you disagree, your only recourse is to hire a lawyer to try to get the condition rescinded. That said, at 17, a person is an adult for prosecuting criminal cases but until they are 18, they are considered a child for all other purposes. Given your charge and the age of the child, it does not seem unreasonable at first blush.

    Cynthia Henley

  3. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Unfortunately. You need to carefully follow the rules and regulations of parole.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,598 answers this week

3,332 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,598 answers this week

3,332 attorneys answering