Can my parole officer tell me I cant see my 17 year old because of my past dwi w/ child endangerment?

Fort Worth, TX |

Already served time for it. Plus isnt my kid considered adults?

17 is not an adult for any but criminal law purposes in Texas. By that I mean 17 is old enough to be prosecuted as an adult but a child for all other purposes in Texas.

Your parole conditions set out what you can, cannot, and/or must do while on parole. It is generally best to do as the parole officer says unless you want to stir up a hornet's nest even if the things asked of a parolee are not included in the parole conditions.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

If your parole officer tells you something, and you disagree, your only recourse is to hire a lawyer to try to get the condition rescinded. That said, at 17, a person is an adult for prosecuting criminal cases but until they are 18, they are considered a child for all other purposes. Given your charge and the age of the child, it does not seem unreasonable at first blush.

Cynthia Henley

Yes. Unfortunately. You need to carefully follow the rules and regulations of parole.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.