Can my parole officer tell me I cant see my 17 year old because of my past dwi w/ child endangerment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

Already served time for it. Plus isnt my kid considered adults?

1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

6

Answered . 17 is not an adult for any but criminal law purposes in Texas. By that I mean 17 is old enough to be prosecuted as an adult but a child for all other purposes in Texas.

Your parole conditions set out what you can, cannot, and/or must do while on parole. It is generally best to do as the parole officer says unless you want to stir up a hornet's nest even if the things asked of a parolee are not included in the parole conditions.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

5

Answered . If your parole officer tells you something, and you disagree, your only recourse is to hire a lawyer to try to get the condition rescinded. That said, at 17, a person is an adult for prosecuting criminal cases but until they are 18, they are considered a child for all other purposes. Given your charge and the age of the child, it does not seem unreasonable at first blush.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. Unfortunately. You need to carefully follow the rules and regulations of parole.