Can my parole officer tell me I cant see my 17 year old because of my past dwi w/ child endangerment?

Fort Worth, TX |

Already served time for it. Plus isnt my kid considered adults?

1. 17 is not an adult for any but criminal law purposes in Texas. By that I mean 17 is old enough to be prosecuted as an adult but a child for all other purposes in Texas.

Your parole conditions set out what you can, cannot, and/or must do while on parole. It is generally best to do as the parole officer says unless you want to stir up a hornet's nest even if the things asked of a parolee are not included in the parole conditions.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

2. If your parole officer tells you something, and you disagree, your only recourse is to hire a lawyer to try to get the condition rescinded. That said, at 17, a person is an adult for prosecuting criminal cases but until they are 18, they are considered a child for all other purposes. Given your charge and the age of the child, it does not seem unreasonable at first blush.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. Yes. Unfortunately. You need to carefully follow the rules and regulations of parole.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.