Skip to main content

Can my parents who live with me qualify for Medicaid if they don't make anything but I make more than medicaid max limt.

Tampa, FL |

For eligibility, medicaid uses the household income tests and since my parents live with me, our household income is above the eligible limits. Hence they will not qualify for Medicaid, but that doesn't seem right as I'm only helping and supporting them.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Either one of your parents or both of your paretns may qualify. Your income or assets will not impact your parents ability to qualify for State of Florida Medicaid. I suggest you seeing an Elder Law attorney in your area to discuss these details and they can assit you and your parents in Medicaid planning before they apply for Mediciad determination which will normally take less than 45 days. Although there are income and assets limits amoung other issues designed for applicants that may change every years, an attorney can assist, and provide some asset protection planning to insure your parents utilize these entitlements appropriately.


I am not licensed in your state. This is a complex area of the law and you should consult with an experienced elder law attorney rather than try to qualify your parents yourself. Mistakes made by well meaning family members can sometimes be irrevocable.


You haven't indicated which Medicaid program you want for your parents. There are a number of Medicaid programs that have varying eligibility requirements. If you are seeking long term care in an assisted living facility or a skilled nursing facility, there are three prongs for establishing eligibility: medical necessity (known as "level of care"); meeting an income cap of $2,022 per month (and/or establishing a Qualified Income Trust to hold excess income over the monthly cap of $2,022) and maximum assets of $2,000 for an individual and $3,000 for a couple. Your household income will not be the determining factor - eligibility is determined by the income and assets of the applicants. In addition, if either of your parents served in the armed services during wartime, they may be eligible for pension benefits from the Veterans Administration. I suggest that you consult with a local elder law attorney - you can locate an elder law attorney at the website for the Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys:

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer