Can my parents press rape charges for me if I am 19 years old?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Roswell, NM

I was at a party and there was drinking. The next thing I remember was waking up in a guys bed the next morning with clothes that were not mine. My parents want to press charges but I don't want to. Can my parents do that without my consent?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen D Aarons

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Neither your parents nor you press charges. That is done by the district attorney. However the prosecutor does take into account your I was wishes. The fact that you blacked out means you probably did not consent but even that is unknown. However your decision to drink as a minor and your lack of memory and your reluctance all weigh against prosecution if they know the suspect. If your blood had a date rape drug spiked in your drink, the likelihood of prosecution is greater no matter how you feel.

    Whatever happens I hope you can forgive your own bad judgment and in a sense forgive the rapist not for his sake but for your healing and well being. Don't let this define who you are or limit your future in any way.

  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is not up to you or your parents to press charges. The police or the prosecution file charges. Please get some counseling. As a victim you are very vulnerable right now.

Related Topics

Criminal charges for rape

Rape is a type of sexual assault where the victim is forced to have sex without consent. State laws vary in defining what is considered sexual assault and rape.

David Joseph Parsons

Statutory Rape: A General Overview

Statutory rape is perhaps one of the most misunderstood areas of criminal law. Many laypeople do not understand the legal issues involved. Some of the issues tied to statutory rape... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,367 answers this week

3,348 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,367 answers this week

3,348 attorneys answering