Can my parents kick me out at 17 years old? If so, can they make me come back after I've settled my own living.

Asked almost 3 years ago - San Leandro, CA

I'm 16 and I turn 17 in a couple months. I've gotten into a dispute with my parents tonight and I called the police. They came and had me go with my cousin for the next few nights. My parents said they didn't want me coming into the house. And before I walked out, before the cops came, they did say "Get out of here. I don't want you here anymore." I'm here at my cousin's house and I'm not sure if I can really go anywhere.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Rutledge Norton

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You parents are responsible for you until you are 18, you become emancipated or someone else adopts you or becomes your legal guardian. If they are not providing you with proper care you could contact CPS or the police. I can't tell from the facts you provided if it has reached a level where CPS or police need to be involved. I would call a few local family attorneys and talk with them. Most will provide a free consultation, especially for a minor, start with them and tell them all the facts and circumstances involved with you situation.

  2. Michael John Harrington


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You're parents are legally obligated to care for you however as a minor you are in their custody so you follow their rules except if abuse is involved, of course. I don't know the circumstances. A relative can become you're legal guardian by filing a petition for guardianship with the court. Or if you become independent and self sufficient you may petition the court for emancipation of a minor (freedom from patental control) then they cannot make you come back.

    The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to... more
  3. Annette L Goudy

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Until you are 18 years of age, your parents are legally obligated to feed, clothe, educate and shelter you. The only reason for you not to live there is, as the other attorneys have said, in an abusive situation.

    If they refuse to let you back in the house, you can call the police, because they are under a legal obligation to you. You can call a family law attorney who may be able to help you. Or a trusted adult friend or family member can file guardianship papers and legally take care of you.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,768 answers this week

3,303 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,768 answers this week

3,303 attorneys answering