Can my parents file I130 petition for me when I am at F1 visa in US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monmouth Junction, NJ

I got married in july2008 and came to US on H4 visa. I applied for change of status to F1 visa in jan2011 and divorced in dec2011. Now , can my parents file i130 for me in july2013. They will become Citizen in july 2013. Whether, I130 filling can create problem in renewal of student visa ?My F1 visa will expire in Dec 2013. Can they file i130 visa for me?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . They can, but this will make it difficult for you to extend your F-1 status.

2. Dean P Murray

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The F-1 is not technically a dual-intent visa even though DOS knows that many Fs would hop on a temporary work visa at the completion of their studies and ultimately adjust status in the U.S.

3. Christian Schmidt

5

Answered . They can petition you but the petition indicates that you intend to immigrate which will make difficult to extend your student status and obtain a visa if required.

4. Karen-Lee Pollak

2

Answered . Filing an I 130 will likely cause a denial of your F1 renewal as you cannot have an immigrant intent