Can my own insurance pay for my chiropractor bills

Long Beach, CA |

I was rear ended in September, my neighbor who is a state farm agent says my state farm insurance should pay my chiropractor bills. I was under the impression that the insurance company for the guy that rear ended me will pay my chiropractor bills.
His insurance company calls me every week to check on my "progress." They also want copy of chiropractor records and bills and want my Social security to verify medicare which I am not.
If they are going to pay for my bills why should I involve my own insurance? Is my neighbor correct?

Your neighbor is correct if you have that coverage (medical payments) in your insurance policy. The other insurance company will not pay your bills as you incur them. They will wait as long as possible. Most chiropractors and doctors want to get paid right away. You should get your bills paid now by submitting them for payment to your insurer. You should also consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to maximize the compensation you will receive.

2. Your insurance will only pay your medical bills if you carried that type of coverage under your policy. If you didnt pay for that type of coverage, then you need to submit a claim to the other driver's insurance carrier. However, they don't pay as you treat. They will only cover your bills as part of your settlement. You should hire an attorney to help you maximize your recovery.

3. I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours all the time, so I am happy to answer your question. Your gut instinct is right that you have questions regarding your rights and your case. I've handled a good amount of accident cases and know this to be true that insurance companies give cases like yours a hard time even if the police report finds the other person at fault. You should hire an attorney now before you hurt your case (happens unfortunately very often). You should hire a lawyer to help you out with the claim because regardless of the outcome of the police report insurance companies give unrepresented people a tough time. I've handled cases and referred clients to great doctors in the Long Beach, CA area.

At our firm we always refer clients to all kinds of doctors and chiropractors when our clients are injured and our clients never pay anything upfront, not even a copay. The doctors are willing to do this because an attorney is on board. You are entitled to have your property damage, medical bills and future medical expenses PAID FOR BY THE OTHER PARTY'S INSURANCE. The attorney you hire will handle the claims process from start to finish.

But you are going to need to see a specliast to even get a shot at getting future medical treatment from the Defenedant. Moreover it sounds like the accident is completely the other persons fault so you don't want this case to become a difficult one because of lack of inattention. The insurance company will make you believe that your case is worth very little... Regarding pain and suffering, you need to speak to an experienced attorney that can strategize your case. Just because you were in an accident doesn't mean you have pain and suffering, at least thats what the insurance companies think. Make no doubt about it you have a great case, but you need help from a professional. You are entitled to your medical bills being covered as well.

Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hired can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case. There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled cases and/or spoken to clients in the Long Beach, CA area.

Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that the insurance company will offer you by yourself. Make your life easier and call an attorney today, you won't regret it.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

4. If you have medical payments insurance, your insurance company will pay reasonable chiropractic bills as they are incurred. That's reason enough to involve your own policy. Be aware, however, that if you make a claim against the other guy, your insurance company may be entitled to reimbursement of the amounts claimed.

5. If you're insurance covers chiro bills, they'll pay for it.

6. If you have coverage your insurance company should pay the charges.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

7. Retain a local personal injury lawyer to get maximum compensation. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

8. Do not speak to the other driver's insurance company. They do not care about you in any way, shape or form and are only looking to get as much information from you to provide as little compensation as possible. Contact a local personal injury attorney to discuss the facts and determine what the best options are for obtaining the compensation you are entitled to.

Miguel A. Amador is licensed to practice law in Florida and the District of Columbia only. The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney

9. It all depends whether your Insurance company covers chiropractor bills.

10. Your med pay coverage should pay the bills. State Farm med pay requires you to reimburse them if you settle with the other ins co and get paid. There are arguments to reduce the amount to be reimbursed. The other ins co wont pay until you agree to sign a release of claims.
    Be careful of chiro only treatment. I always suggest the client see an MD as well to hopefully confirm the treatment youre getting from the chiro is reasonable and necessary, and actually working. Ive seen people run up huge chiro bills and then have a problem getting much or enough in the settlement. You might want to talk to a local atty.

11. Your auto insurance medical payments insurer, or your health insurer will pay. Whichever one pays will be subrogated to your rights to recover the value of its payments from the at fault party. You will have a contractual obligation and/or statutory obligation, to re-pay that party from the proceeds of your personal injury claim, if any. You can usually negotiate a lesser payment at the conclusion of your personal injury claim.