Can my old provider disclose conversation that were had to new provider

Asked 12 months ago - Jacksonville, NC

There was an emergency(family) to come up while I was at doctors visit I left w/o doing a specimen test. I wasn't told it would be a refusal if I left ,the nurse never told me. I attempted to go back to pick up where I left off at at my appointment and was denied for several different reason. So now my old provider slanders me/defamation of character to new provider. Is this justifiable?

1. Brian F. Davis

Pro

3

Answered . Whether your right to privacy regarding the content of your medical records has been violated and/or whether you have been slandered depends on the terms of your contract with the old provider. Many such contacts contain provisions that allow for the release of private information to other providers. If your old provider made untrue statements about you to your new provider, then that would be a basis for slander. You would need to review the contract and go from there. Slander cases are generally very difficult unless you have a recording. Otherwise, it usually turns out to be a swearing contest. Good luck!

2. David Brian Snyder

Pro

4

Answered . It depends on what was communicated and whether you gave authorizations. Either way there is no private cause of action.

Pro

3

Answered . No private right to sue under HIPAA